Anyone still playing?
Jonathan Ellis
2008-04-11 22:20:23 UTC
Just wondering if anyone still plays Dungeon Keeper or DK2...

And if anyone ever wrote a patch that fixed the bugs in DK1, particularly
the ones to do with the enemy being able to place multiple traps illegally
on a room square, or the one that apparently overflowed memory so that if
the level had been running for too long, mobile graphics and sprites
wouldn't be able to appear...

Jonathan.

ktabic
2008-05-07 09:13:31 UTC
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:20:23 +0100, the sky darkened, lightning flashed,
Post by Jonathan Ellis
Just wondering if anyone still plays Dungeon Keeper or DK2...
I still pull them out now and again and play them both again.
Post by Jonathan Ellis
And if anyone ever wrote a patch that fixed the bugs in DK1,
particularly the ones to do with the enemy being able to place multiple
traps illegally on a room square, or the one that apparently overflowed
memory so that if the level had been running for too long, mobile
graphics and sprites wouldn't be able to appear...
Not afaik

ktabic
--
www.ktabic.co.uk
Many sysadmins won't give you the time of day.
Thats what NTP is for.
B.J.
Thats what NTP is for.
ktabic
2008-05-21 07:38:14 UTC
On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:34:48 +1000, the sky darkened, lightning flashed,
Post by B.J.
I still have my copy of DK1. I haven't tried running it on this machine
yet but I will get it a go sometime soon.
IIRC theres a horrible crash bug near the end of Lvl 19 (Mistle), when
playing on XP, that prevented my from finishing the game. Must play
through it again, just to find out if it was just XP or if it was the
hardware I was using at the time.

ktabic
Thats what NTP is for.
Jonathan Ellis
2008-05-21 17:16:12 UTC
Post by B.J.
I still have my copy of DK1. I haven't tried running it on this machine
yet but I will get it a go sometime soon.
IIRC theres a horrible crash bug near the end of Lvl 19 (Mistle), when
playing on XP, that prevented my from finishing the game. Must play
through it again, just to find out if it was just XP or if it was the
hardware I was using at the time.
In levels that take a long time to complete, I've noticed that bugs creep in
after a while. Seems to start with the enemy placing illegal traps -
multiple traps on the same square, or on room tiles - and then continues on
to an inability to create more mobile sprites (e.g. workshop workstations,
training room training posts, torture chamber tables, or new creatures of
any kind) until a couple more have been removed somehow (e.g. imps killed,
creatures flung back into portals, room tiles sold). And that's when the
game starts crashing, usually shortly afterwards.

I've noticed it a lot more under Deeper Dungeons than under Dungeon Keeper
itself: in DK it only seems to happen on the very last levels - in fact I've
only seen it on Skybird Trill, myself. In both cases I suspect it's because
they're the ones that take the longest time to complete, and the ones in
which the enemy is most likely to end up placing the "illegal" traps.

I've never seen this kind of bug afflict a level where there are only heroes
to fight, no matter how long it lasts. Only when there is an enemy Keeper
around, and specifically one who gets left alone for long enough that he
gets the chance to make and place a lot of traps. In fact I've also never
had a level crash on me UNLESS it turned out, usually by going back to a
previous save and attacking earlier, that the enemy Keeper had already made
an "illegal" trap placement somewhere.

I haven't the faintest clue what causes it. I'm not even sure if it's common
to all of the AI routines, or just some of them. (In fact I'd never seen it
on Mistle, so I assumed that "enemy AI routine" number 2 - which is only
used on this level, for some reason - was in fact clear of this bug. Maybe
I'd just never let the level last long enough for problems.)

Jonathan.
B.J.
2008-05-29 11:58:23 UTC
Just tried to run the old Dungeon Keeper part 1 on this new Vista comp.
Didn't get past splash screen to launch into videos. Tried to run in
compatability windows95 but no good. I'll keep the game as memorabilia as I
completed it once.
Thats what NTP is for.
Neevok
2008-06-01 09:13:01 UTC
Dual booting newer versions of windows with windows98 of windows 2000 helps
you to be able to play your older games.

The older version needs to be installed first though!
And from Windows 2000 onwards you need version 1.7 to play.

DK2 is still my favourite game. Making your own skirmish levels is an
unlimited source of fresh gameplay.
Oh and for all those who are looking for anew challenge: try playing all
levels without claiming the portals (using spells, converted creatures or
just the creatures you got at the start of the level)
This is also fun in Pet Dungeon mode. And after several attempts it worked
in 'Bottleneck' too!

neevok